There really is no better way to start our essential cooking course. Bread is a staple food, and it's so easy if you follow the steps.
300g bread flour, white or wholemeal
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsps active yeast
1 1/2 tbsps oil
185ml hand warm water
- Add the flours, salt and sugar into a bowl, and mix. Add the yeast.
- In a separate bowl add the remaining ingredients and stir together.
- Add to the dry ingredients.
- If you are using a food mixer, mix with a dough hook for 5 to 6 minutes.
- If you are making the dough by hand, mix the ingredients together until you have a ball of dough. Knead well for 10 minutes.
- Place dough in a large greased bowl. Cover with a piece of greased clingfilm and leave to double in size.
- Knock the dough back by pouring out of the greased bowl onto a floured surface.
- Gently knead and roll into a loaf shape. Place in lightly greased loaf tins and leave to prove for a further 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200℃/180℃ fan
- Cook for 20 minutes. You’ll know it’s done if it sounds hollow when you tap the bottom.